- Rainwater is free.
- Rainwater is superior for landscape irrigation.
- Rainwater provides a water source when tap water and groundwater are unacceptable or unavailable, or it can augment limited water supplies.
- The zero hardness of rainwater helps prevent scale on appliances, extending their use; rainwater eliminates the need for a water softener and the salts added during the softening process.
- Rainwater harvesting reduces flow to stormwater drains and also reduces non-point source pollution.
- Rainwater harvesting helps utilities reduce the summer demand peak and delay expansion of existing water treatment plants.
- Rainwater harvesting reduces consumers’ utility bills.